January 15th 2014
Are you a student or team of students at SFU, VCC or VFS? Do you have an awesome idea you want to bring to life in public space in the Hastings Crossing Area? (See map below) If so you are eligible to compete in one of three prize categories of $750, $1250 or $2000 to assist in bringing your idea to life.
HxBIA embraces edginess, innovation, diversity, urban culture and community. We are looking for visual art (including but not limited to murals, graffiti, sidewalk or street painting, chalk, stencil or image projection) cultural exchange or interpretation, urban design features, live performance, gaming or otherwise creatively utilizing a public space. It may have content that is unconventional, perhaps even controversial (you are artists after all).
If your idea is chosen, the HxBIA’s Public Spaces/Public Art Committee will partner with you to assist in bringing your idea to life. Your idea has to be within the Victory Square Park/DTES area demarcated below. This is an opportunity to not only make an impact in your community, but to enhance your portfolio and raise your profile as a young artist or group of artists.
Judging for the three prize categories will be completed by the Hastings Crossing BIA Arts Council. You may compete in only one prize category for each idea submitted. You may work alone or as a team and we ask that you secure a faculty member from your institution to advise/consult on your project or event. You will be given an opportunity to present your idea to the panel and view other submissions. Questions regarding this Call for Submission can be directed to your [email protected]
Who We Are – HxBIA
The Hastings Crossing Business Improvement Association (HxBIA) is no regular BIA. We are a social innovation BIA driven by strong social and environmental values and are dedicated to the authentic urban culture of Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. We take a leadership role in managing change and shaping a more resilient, inclusive and sustainable local economy here in the Downtown Eastside. For more information, visit our website at www.hxbia.com.
Checklist for Proposals
- E-mail initial concept to [email protected] NO LATER THAN MARCH 1st 2014 (shortlisted submissions will be contacted to present in person to the Public Spaces/Public Art Committee of HxBIA)
- E-mail must include projected budget and concept and a bit about yourself or your group (try to keep under 500 words)
- You will then present your pitch in person to the Public Spaces/Public Art Committee in 10 minutes or less in March if you are shortlisted
- Projects must be law abiding
- Take place within the defined Area
- Preference will be given to ideas that partner with local businesses or non-profits
- Projects or events are to be Completed by July 30th, 2014
Where We’re At
Our area stretches from the northeastern portion of the downtown peninsula to the heart of Vancouver’s historic Downtown Eastside from Richards Street to Gore Avenue along Hastings Street and portions off Pender, Cordova, Main and Powell Streets.