Strathcona BIA, in partnership with HxBIA, recently installed the Hastings Urban Tree Nursery (HUTN), a series of concrete planters housing young trees that will grow under the care of local businesses until ready for transplantation to permanent locations. The HUTN will benefit the local community in many ways including supporting the local economy, providing new skills training for community members, and providing an otherwise concrete landscape with beauty, shade, and new insect and bird habitat.
HxBIA is currently inviting proposals from artists to paint the concrete planters of the HUTN along the south side of the 100 block of Hastings Street. In particular, works that engage with local community, heritage and culture, natural elements, and/or First Nations culture are sought. HxBIA embraces edginess, innovation, diversity, urban culture and community. Painted planters will be part of the urban streetscape and should enliven and enrich the Hastings corridor while reflecting the values and goals of the HUTN and HxBIA. There are four planters to be painted, and the area to be painted on each planter is approximately 113”x36” (w x h).
One artist will be selected and commissioned to paint the four planters. The artist will receive a $1000 stipend, and paint materials will be provided up to a maximum of $400, with support from the City of Vancouver’s Integrated Graffiti Management Program. After painting, the planters will be coated with a clear product to protect against graffiti damage.
- Submit one proposed design for a planter painting (width to height ratio is approximately 3:1). The proposed design should be clearly marked and distinguished from portfolio images submitted.
- Submit up to 4 numbered portfolio images by email, 300dpi, with .jpg extension. List names or descriptions of images by number in body of email.
- Preference will be given to ideas that partner with local businesses and/or non-profits
- No other media will be considered.
- Please include the following:
- List of images with names or descriptions, clearly identified.
- Artist’s statement
Responses for this Call for Submission are directed to [email protected] by September 1, 2015.
Who We Are – HxBIA
Hastings Crossing Business Improvement Association (HxBIA) is no regular BIA. We are a social innovation BIA driven by strong social and environmental values and are dedicated to the authentic urban culture of Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. We take a leadership role in managing change and shaping a more resilient, inclusive, and sustainable local economy here in the Downtown Eastside. For more information, visit our website at www.hxbia.com.